Okay so I know it’s September and I should really be thinking all things Autumn. But I just can’t let go of summer quite yet and who can blame me? As a final homage to the summer before the blue skies merge into black skies and the warmth of the sun turns into the shiver of rain, I present to you my peach and halloumi salad.
The sweetness of the peaches is the most mouthwatering contrast to the saltiness of the halloumi and bacon. It’s a dreamy marriage of flavours.
I’d love to say I came up with this ingenious combination but I’ve got to give a shoutout to my family friend who brought the recipe to my attention. You can follow him over on Instagram at @seafood_recipes. I’ve adapted the recipe ever so slightly because I can’t eat onions but feel free to throw some in if you’d like to add extra zing.
The peaches ideally need to be relatively firm to the touch (but not too under ripe), as if they are too soft they may go a bit mushy. The below quantities would be for two people if eating for lunch, or four people if serving as a side to dinner.
8x slices of halloumi
Handful of bacon lardons
Handful of pumpkin seeds
1/2 bag of baby leaf salad
Dash of balsamic and olive oil dressing
- Chop each peach into approximately eight slices and remove the stone. Cut your halloumi into eight slices and halve each slice. Heat up a griddle pan and add the peach slices. You shouldn’t need any oil in a non-stick pan but if you’re worried about stick then add a tiny drop.
- Meanwhile, fry up the bacon lardons in a separate pan until super crispy. Just how I like them.
- Flip the peach slices once they are starting to brown. Add the halloumi slices to the griddle pan and cook until golden brown. Flip the halloumi to brown off the other side (the second side usually only takes about one minute). Once the peach slices are browned on both sides and the halloumi cooked, take the pan off the heat.
- In a large bowl, add the salad leaves and dress with a dash of balsamic and olive oil dressing. You shouldn’t need much, as you should get some juice from the peaches. Add a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds and finish with the peach slices, halloumi and bacon lardons.
- Mix together and indulge!
Do you have any staple summer salads? I’d love to hear from you in the comments and I hope you enjoy my peach and halloumi salad recipe.